Voices of Hickling: Methodist Chapel
Photo by George Newman
Photo by Martin Johns
Before the Chapel came to its present site, the Methodists had a Chapel in Stubb Road (as a Chapel, it was a single storey building; the second floor was added by a later owner). This old chapel proved to be too small, so in 1844 a new Chapel was built (probably of bricks made from the clay of the Chapel Pit) on the site of the present chapel on Heath Road. Both Chapels continued in use for some time, being referred to as “The Old Chapel” and “The New Chapel”.
In December 1881, a gale caused serious damage to the New Chapel, and after discussion about repair or rebuild, Memorial Foundation Stones were laid for the present Chapel on 29th May 1882. On 29th November that year, the Chapel opened, at a final cost of 499 pounds, ten shillings and eleven pence.
The Schoolroom was added in 1896 at a cost of £300.