Voices of Hickling: Church Rooms/Community Hall
Photo by George Newman
Photo by Martin Johns
A photograph of the Community Hall taken by George Newman in 1987. The building is now a private residence, this photograph taken in 2017.
With thanks to the Hickling Local History Group:
The Community Hall was originally built in 1910 as a Church hall and was opened by the Bishop of Norwich. It is a substantial, thatched building close to the School and has been a centre for village meetings and social activities for the last 90 years. Among the events recalled by John Beales as taking place many years ago were a monthly Whist Drive.
There were also occasional Saturday football dances, costing 2s. to go in, (though as money became increasingly available the young people more frequently went to Yarmouth - to the Regent Picture House, the Aquarium or The Windmill - after the Saturday football match: cycling to Potter Heigham Station to catch the 7.30pm train, coming home on the 10.45).
In 1975 the Hall was purchased by the Parish Council. Subsequently there was some improvement and enlargement of the accommodation, including rebuilding the kitchen and modernising the toilets and increasing the area at the back of the Hall.
Page updated 5/11/18