Voices of Hickling: Hickling Hall
Page updated 7/8/19
HICKLING HALL was built about 1700 and was considered one of the three principal residences, (with Waxham Hall and Ludham Hall), in the Hundred of Happing. In the late eighteenth century the Hall is indicated as being in the ownership of John Micklethwait Esq., Lord and Patron of Hickling. The Micklethwaits were leading landowners throughout the nineteenth century, being succeeded by the related Mills family who are still major landowners in this area.
It is a Grade II listed building and is noted in Pevsner’s “The Buildings of England”. The Hall was altered in the mid nineteenth century by the addition of a full length two storey extension to the rear. The roof was restored in the nineteenth century and again in 2002.
The garden wall, also Grade II listed, was built at the same time as the Hall, in about 1700, with some recent additions. Set into the wall is a red Victorian Post Box which is still in use. At the Hall Farm entrance is the former village pound, or pinfold, where stray livestock were kept for reclaiming by their owners, no doubt on payment of some fee.
(with thanks to the Hickling Local History Group)