The Lady Yacht Club
The following text appeared the Norfolk Broads Forum. We do not know the author their name, but we will be trying to find out more about this contributor and about the Lady Yacht Club in the course time.
The Lady Yacht Club was formed after a weekend’s sailing on the suggestion of Herbert Woods to give interested members of his yard staff an insight into the art of sailing the yachts that they had built and maintained. Certain people called "Friends of the Yard" were also invited to take part in the weekend.
This proved such a success that The "Lady" Yacht Club was formed in 1945. The name was derived from the yachts that were first sailed - “Perfect Lady"1-8. This was increased to ten boats and crews with a skipper, mate and 3 crew members to each crew who normally sailed together during their membership of the club. In its early days any staff of H Woods yard would be automatically members but "friends" had to be invited, there being no application procedure. This ruling still applies today.
The close association with Oulton Broad (W.O.B.Y.C) was bought about by Herbert Woods competitive sailing against this club and guests were invited to take part in our regatta at Thurne, which is normally held on the first weekend in October. This weekend was originally chosen as the hire season was virtually over and the yachts were unrigged by members on the return to Potter Heigham after the regatta.
Page created 26/10/18